On February 16th and 17th, the Legion of Logic had their first table event during the Student Organization Fair. Overall, I feel it went absolutely fantastic. There was a relatively large group of club members who sat around socializing and we got a fair amount of attention by a lot of genuinely interested individuals. We gained a few members and somehow managed to completely avoid any serious negative confrontation (save for one alarmingly angry Sunday School teacher who wrote us a particularly unpleasant answer - see if you can spot it). While we got some unpleasant looks, they were from people who felt the need to avoid us rather than engage.
I introduced a concept known as the "Community Voice Box" . The intention of the box was to introduce a question to the public where students and faculty could share their thoughts and opinions discretely. A major goal of the Legion of Logic is to inspire communication and critical thinking; therefore this felt like a good first step towards helping people feel like they didn't have to be afraid to engage in such conduct.
This was a fascinating social experiment where we received few concise answers – it seems like a lot of people felt the question “What does the word 'secular' mean to you?” was synonymous with “What do you think of atheists?”
I've copied the responses we received word-for-word, keeping punctuation, spelling, and sentence placement intact:
- Atheism: The belif that there was nothing and nothing happened to nothing to nothing and then nothing magically exploded for no reason, creating everything and then a bunch of everything magically rearranged itself for no reason what so ever into self-replicating bits which then turned into dinosaurs. Makes Perfect Sense.
- Secular: the secular group of society, is one with out the concern for the group or religious,a self serving interest is secular
- THE WRONG CHOICE
- I don't know!
- Atheism – No religion
- they can believe what they like
- Its your own choice.
- We live therefore we are
- Maybe Not
- A dancing fuzzy bunny
- Atheisum: people who dont believe in a higher being
- “Secular” means “of the world” in that it emphasizes worldly immediate concerns as opposed to ideas about the afterlife, supernatural, god, and religion which are not immediately relevant.
- I feel saddened that athists only believe in a brief lifespan. If I were athist that would be scary due to my wanting to experience everything combined with lack of morals.
- Secular – not related to organized religion? LOL!
- Secular = without religion “earthly”
- Secular – non-religious, whether it be political mindset, music, or media
- One who treats all people the same, nontheless, any difference mentaly, physicaly, past, or present. Not out of any obligation, but because of a genuin desire to do good to all people, and help those in need.
- Secular means anything that does not specifically have to do with religion
- atheism – logical and realistic
- people who belive that god is the procese by wich everything happens.
- Secular is similar to sacred. Minus the religious aspects of it.
- Secular should mean that the institutions of religion & government remain completely seperate.. too bad it isn't.